Judith Scharman Draughon (AKA Judes) Mango Quinoa Black Bean Salad
This month I want to highlight Judith Scharman Draughon, MS, RDN, LD, (AKA Judes) the “How to Dietitian Nutritionist.” She takes the science and translates it into delish, easy and healthy everyday meals! Her recipes are practical for the busy person on the go.
This Mango Quinoa Salad is a sneak peek to one of the delicious recipes included in the Judes’ new book, Lean Body Smart Life; 12-Fix Plan to a Leaner, Healthier, Happier Life. This refreshing salad is packed with healthy nutrients. Quinoa, a complete protein, combined with crunchy celery, sweet tangy mango, and lime, makes this salad a winner.
- 2 1/2 cups quinoa, cooked (3/4 cup dry)
- 1 cup celery, chopped small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 firm but ripe mango, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro (to taste)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinse
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp real maple syrup or raw honey salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa with 1 1/2 cups water (as directed by the package).
- Meanwhile, chop celery, red pepper, onion and cilantro. Mix all these ingredients with black beans in a bowl.
- Add cooled quinoa (my brother puts the cooked quinoa in the freezer, pan and all while, while he finishes the other ingredients) and toss.
- Mix olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice and real maple syrup together to make dressing.
- Add dressing to salad and serve. If serving later, reserve some of the dressing to add to the salad just prior to serving, and keep salad in refrigerator to chill.
Judith Scharman Draughon, MS, RDN, LD, (AKA Judes) is your How-To Dietitian Nutritionist. She translates nutritional scientific research into what you can eat to make the biggest difference to your health and happiness. Through speaking engagements, seminars, and workshops, she can help you and your staff, colleagues, and friends make healthy, great-tasting food without spending too much time in the kitchen.
Judes is excited to announce her new book, Lean Body Smart Life: 12 Fix Plan to a Leaner, Healthier, Happier Life coming August 25, 2017. She has identified the 12 most important “fixes” to help you take charge of your health and feel better – all without being on a diet. These fixes are based on scientific findings, and the latest research continues to support these fixes even more! These 12 fixes are your formula for a leaner body and a smarter, healthier life.
Rather than another fad diet, this is a plan that helps you enjoy food without guilt.
This Lean Body, Smart Life book is packed with practical tips, how-to videos, and delicious, easy recipes. It even has an app to help you get started and track your progress!
To learn more about the book, go to Judes new website, FoodsWithJudes.com
Judes has traveled extensively, raised four children, and recently remarried and relocated to Durham, NC.
Let us know when you try this recipe and what foods you pair it with.