This month I want to highlight Jen Haugen, RDN, LD the Down to Earth Dietitian and mom who adores her family by creating amazing meals to nourish their bodies and soothe their spirits. Her recipes are practical for the busy on the go mom and perfect for you too!
Tired of your same old breakfasts?
Instead of toast and eggs try Jen’s
Chicken Sausage Scramble with lots of scrumptious veggies oozing with tasty nutrition. This dish would be an easy meal to whip up quickly after work too. Who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? To save precious after work time, dice the onion, red pepper and sweet potato before you head to work or the evening before. Check out Jen’s You Tube video for her demo of this tasty dish.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ½ cup diced chicken apple sausage
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced red pepper
- ¼ cup diced sweet potato
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- ½ cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 whole wheat English muffins, split, toasted
- Coat a nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; heat over medium. Add the sausage, onion, red pepper, and sweet potato and cook, covered, stirring often, until vegetables are tender (test a chunk of sweet potato to be sure).
- Meanwhile, beat eggs with milk in a small bowl until blended. When the vegetables are tender, transfer them to a plate. Return the skillet to the burner; add the egg mixture and cook, stirring often, until eggs are softly scrambled. Off heat, stir in spinach, reserved sausage mixture, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately with a toasted English muffin half. Serves 4.
- Nutrition Facts per Serving: 210 calories, 10 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 240 mg cholesterol, 14 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 410 mg sodium.
Jen Haugen, RDN, LD, is an award-winning registered dietitian nutritionist, speaker and author of the inspiring book, “The Mom’s Guide to a Nourishing Garden.”
She has been featured as a food and nutrition expert on media outlets like Food & Nutrition Magazine, Nutrition 411, and Today’s Dietitian. Jen empowers moms to live a more balanced life through workshops, retreats and online courses. Her goal is to equip moms with tools that bring life into balance all while making meal planning a breeze, boosting confidence in the kitchen, and gardening for healthy plates. Find her at www.jenhaugen.com.
Give this recipe a try! Jen and I can’t wait to hear how much you love it!